Bend your knees to lift with ease. From moving planters to picking up paint cans, lifting correctly is key to preventing injury. Here are a few tried and true rules for lifting safely and preventing back injury:
- Stand close to the load to be lifted.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend your knees and keep your back straight.
- Squat down to the level of the object and test the weight of the load.
- Ask for help if the load is too heavy or awkward!
- Use the strength of your leg and arm muscles (not your back) to smoothly and slowly lift the load. Try not to jerk when lifting.
- Keep the load close to your body.
- Never twist your body while turning and carrying the load.
- Pivot to turn in the direction you want to move toward.
- Bend your knees and slowly lower the load to its new location.